Download the Content Code
Click on the image to view it online or download.
What is the Content Code?
The Content Code is the principal source for industry self-regulation as it contains governing standards and best practices for content dissemination within the communications and multimedia industry in Malaysia. The main objective of the Content Code is to outline procedures of self-regulation that provides the platform for creativity, innovation and the healthy growth of a fast-evolving industry.
The Content Code demonstrates a commitment toward self-regulation by the industry in compliance with the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 (CMA 98). It seeks to identify offensive and objectionable content while spelling out the obligations of content providers within the context of social values in this country. It also provides a guide for content consumers to practice self-regulation.
What’s in the Content Code?
Section 213 (2) CMA 98, lists the matters that maybe addressed by the Code, but are not limited to:
- restrictions on the provision of unsuitable content;
- methods of classifying content;
- procedures for handling public complaints and for reporting information about complaints to the Commission;
- representation of Malaysian culture and national identity;
- public information and education regarding content regulation and technologies for the end user control of content and
- other matters of concern to the community
Section 211 CMA 98 states that no content applications service provider shall provide content which is indecent, obscene, false, menacing, or offensive in character with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any person. The Content Code facilitates the interpretation of these offences.
The Content Code was registered with MCMC on 1st September 2004 and the most recently revamped version was registered on 30 May 2022.
The Launch of the Content Code 2022
We thank you once again for your participation and contribution.
We hope you will continue to engage with the Content Forum and join us for future activities!